Sunday, May 1, 2011

Roast chicken



I would say that my free range roast chicken and veggies was a 90% success. The final 10% was my fault, not the chicken's. I followed a very easy Jamie Oliver roast chicken recipe, substituted an orange because I didn't have a lemon, rubbed the chicken with dried thyme instead of fresh, and popped it in the oven. While it cooked I made up some potato wedges with mozzarella and thyme, from potatoes we got at the market, and popped them in the oven at the half way mark for the chicken.

I also snapped some fresh peas, but decided not to cook them since I was cooking for one (Heather had to work that night). They were delicious a few days later.

Finally, it was time to eat. The chicken looked and smelled amazing, but alas...I overcooked it.

I'm typically not bad at cooking meat--my mom usually overcooks meat a little bit, but I'm pretty good at making sure it comes out right. This time, I relied too much on the cooking time listed in the recipe, rather than really looking at the chicken during the cooking process. I just have to be more diligent, I guess.

So overall, a pretty good meal, but I'll have to try it again and make sure I do it perfectly! At least the leftover chicken has kept us stocked in lunchmeat for the week, which is a blessing since organic lunch meat is fairly expensive and we only buy it once every two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment