Monday, May 23, 2011

What's in Jamie's Pantry?


I've read through our new Jamie Oliver cookbook and was intrigued by his list of things you should always have in your pantry (or cupboard, as the Brits say). His philosophy behind cooking is that its fun, easy, and exciting, and by stocking up with his list of basics, you have a good groundwork to create some delicious meals whenever the mood (or the good deals in the grocery store) strike you.

You can find the complete list here, but I've made a list of the things that we still need in our own pantry.

-Dijon Mustard
-While Grain Mustard
-English Mustard
-Sesame Seed Oil
-Peanut Oil
-Red and White Wine Vinegar
-Self-rising Flour
-Whole Wheat Flour
-Superfine Sugar
-Oatmeal
-Maple Syrup
-Almonds
-Mixed Seeds
-Crackers
-Chicken, Veggie, and Beef broth
-Pesto
-Curry Paste
-Dried Chillies
-Bay leaves
-Fennel Seeds
-Egg Noodles
-Canned Garbanzo Beans, Cannelloni Beans, Kidney Beans, Tomatoes, Tuna, and Coconut Milk
-Olives
-Anchovies
-Quick Cook couscous
-Coriander Seeds
-Cumin Seeds
-Chili Powder
-5 Spice Powder
-Frozen Peas, Fava Beans, Green Beans, Corn, Fruit, Shrimp, Pie Crusts, Filo dough, and puff pastry

Heather says we don't have the room for all of this stuff, and I suppose for now we'll probably buy what we need for each recipe and build a stock of ingredients over time, but I think the idea of having a well stocked pantry is pretty ingenious. I think my grandmother knew this as she is apt to buy something before she runs out so she always has a backup. My mother is the exact opposite and usually only buys what she needs.

I think I want to be of the well stocked variety.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an expensive grocery list to me! Once we have the room in our pantry (or cupboard) I'm all for it :)

    ReplyDelete