Thursday, June 30, 2011

An improved box of veggies

After completing our three weeks of the Spring Share from the local CSA we decided that it wasn't meeting our needs. We were getting way to much leafy greens which we didn't know what to do with. We aren't rabbits and can only eat so much lettuce-y stuff.

So, we studied the website and decided to try ordering a "Healthy Box", which looked like it had a lot more variety. One of the nice things with the Healthy box is that you can order it whenever you want--every week, every other week, every month. We could even set up a recurring order that automatically charged to our bank account, but I've always been a bit weary of money coming out of my bank account without me actually paying something. I'm always worried that the money will come out before I get paid and will overdraw my account, or I'll forget to subtract it from the register and buy something I don't have the money for. So, I think we'll be sticking with the bi-weekly orders, which give us enough veggies and fruit for about a week and half.

Unfortunately we don't get to eat that many meals at home together (Heather has crazy work schedules), so most of the ingredients last us long enough that we just purchase a new box every two weeks.

Check out the goodies this time around!


We can even order produce, extra items, and meat from the farm. Last week we ordered eggs and a chicken and this week we ordered a cantaloupe. Except for the fact that both weeks they have forgotten to put in the extras and have had to deliver them later in the week, the prices are good and the product is great.

We have made quite a few Jamie Oliver recipes this week, including another roast chicken. Thankfully I didn't overcook it this time and it came out perfect! Now we've got extra meat for lunches this week which is great. I've also made Jamie's stewed ginger rhubarb which is tangy and delicious with yogurt or on the strawberry shortcake we made for my birthday. I also made homemade granola which came out really good. I just might have to make another strawberry rhubarb pie, too, since we keep getting rhubarb and we just got a pint of fresh strawberries. Can't wait for that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment