Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Country 'Tis of Thee

We had a fabulous Fourth of July holiday weekend.

I honestly think that this is the first holiday weekend I've had that felt relaxing and wonderfully fulfilling. I think part of that has to do with not being so stressed out in life and being able to just enjoy some quality time off with my wife and friends. When we were living in DC and both in school a holiday weekend was a time to recover from life--we spent so much time running around crazy busy that we needed the extra time to chill and do nothing. The extra day off passed with nothing special happening and then it was back to the grindstone.

This time around, I wasn't dreading the end of the holiday. I suppose this is probably a result of only working part time jobs that don't really require thought outside of the office environment. Hopefully someday that will translate to a full-time job that also doesn't require much thought outside of the office. Not that I have a problem with a job that requires a little extra effort or thought at home, but I don't want that to be the norm. I want my time away from work to be my time.

I am definitely more of a 'work to live' kind of person and I cherish my time off to nurture the other things in my life that fulfill me.

For the weekend we had enough time to go kayaking on the lake, picnic at the park, clean the house, lounge at home, go to two cookout/ hanging out events with good friends, and watch the fireworks from afar. The weather was blissfully comfortable, the food we ate was good and the company was even better.

I hope we have many more holiday weekends just like that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment